Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's A Little Late To Be Complaining


I see it's been almost a year since I've ranted about anything. Well kids, the time has come once again. I've been reading with interest the bemoaning, whining, and complaining on Atlasquest about the local nut out in Washington who has taken it upon him or her self to avenge the wilderness by removing letterboxes and geocaches.

One wonders how many of these complainers have consented to be interviewed by local reporters in order to "get the word out" about letterboxing? Getting the word out would include getting it out to whackos like this one. It also means getting the word out to park officials who then decide to set rules and regulations for placing letterboxes, if not banning the hobby alltogether.

You can't have your cake and eat it to. Just shut up and box.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geocaches and letterboxes are allowed in Washington State parks. See:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/activities/

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

You need to fill out a permit.

Seems the eco-vigilante hasn't done his/her homework. She/he also doesn't realize that they have created a potentially worse environmental problem when cachers and boxers expand their search looking for a box that's not there.

Anonymous said...

Obviously you've missed my point, which is that people should stop shooting their mouths off about letterboxing. Publicity means more people who don't want them there to find out about it. The fact that they are allowed is beside the point in this particular discussion.

Anonymous said...

p.s....but thanks for reading the blog and commenting.

Anonymous said...

I wish we could all be uniformly against letterboxing publicity. it's anathema to the whole concept.

I'll never forget my feeling when I came across the ford explorer letterboxing ad in that Disney family magazine. I felt sheer horror. I've been letterboxing since 2002 and I've also thought of it as this cool secret. I don't even tell my friends about it.

And I am so weary of newbies who post questions without doing a little research. AQ has wiki and everyone knows how to use wikipedia.

Claudia