I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it? ~Joan Baez
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Live And Let Live, Sometimes, Sort of
I just solved a virtual box and got the image of a wonderful hand carved stamp. I've decided that I'm going to stop being a snob about some things. I'm afraid I still do want a hand carved stamp, but if someone wants to do a virtual box and offer a hand carved image as a reward for solving the puzzle then go for it. Or a trading card. Go for it. Some of those cards are very cool. It all falls into the catagory of creativity. And being creative is one of the things this hobby is supposed to be about. The clues for the virtual box I just solved were more clever than some traditional boxes I've seen and I learned some things I didn't know before. The stamp image was a LOT better than many I've busted my ass out in the woods to get.
I don't think virtual boxing should ever replace the joy of getting outside and boxing in nature (or the energy of a big city for that matter), but I think it has it's place.
I'm sitting here, not feeling like driving two or three hours and spending money on gas and tolls to get a couple of boxes, so I did the virtual one instead. And I'm about to do another one. I've decided to swing my big butt down off my high horse. I suggest some others do the same. I enjoyed googling around and solving the clue.
Life is just too damn short to worry about whether or not LTCs or virtual boxes, or cooties, or whatEVER meet with your approval.
I'm afraid the aforementioned swinging down from said horse still doesn't include what a find is or isn't. I still don't think boxes left lying around on tables at events are real finds. Nor are personal travelers. On that matter, I'm afraid my butt is still firmly enscounced atop said tall horse.
And yes, I know my reluctance to let go of my opinions about hand carved stamps is contradictory to the live and let live policy. I don't think I'm going to be able to let go of that. And I'm pretty sure the whole count thing is going to remain unchanged. Maybe I can't let go of everything but I can let go of some things. Some people can't let go of anything. Ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's a rubber stamp thing, not a letterbox. There are lots of creative rubber stamping activities, as evidenced by the AQ website. However they aren't letterboxes in my opinion. It's a shame that AQ has promoted so many rubber stamping activities as being letterboxes. It is diluted the meaning of letterboxing. I think AQ should have the tag line of being a "rubber stamp community".
Post a Comment